Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ubuntu Who??

I finally gave in and let my HoneyDo put Linux on my computer. He set up a double boot so I can still get into “the dreaded” Windows when I need to. Linux will not run my much loved Picture It and MS Publisher programs. The Canon printers are not supported for Linux so I still need Windows to use my scanner and color printer. I hope I can find a graphics program as powerful as Picture It for Linux. My problem is I don't like changes and learning new things – an "old sitck in the mud", I guess.

I have mainly used Ubuntu for mail and the internet so far. With some difficulty, my HD managed to get my contact list and previous mail into Ubuntu via the Thunderbird program. I did have some cleaning up to do but it wasn't too bad. I think I may stick with this program even though it doesn't have a calendar or note pad. It seems easier to use than Evolution that I started Ubuntu with.

I hear rumors that Microsoft will no longer support XP so I know I will eventually have to get away from it. I have heard too many horror stories about Vista to try it. Linux is different but not hard once it is all set up. I could never have done it myself and will need assistance I am sure from time to time but I think I may have an “expert” on it living here. :O)

1 comment:

  1. Call me a procrastinator but I'll wait until I can't use what I use anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete