Sunday, March 28, 2010

Favorite Father-in-law



This is my favorite, actually my only father-in-law (FIL).

When I first met my HD, he was in the service and  talked me into going to meet his parents when I was visiting a cousin close to where they lived.  My cousin and I decided to do a drive-by to check out the neighborhood and house. 
My HD didn't tell me that the street DEADENDED right past their house!! We were embarrassed to discover my FIL saw us the first time we drove by and wanted to know why we didn't stop the first time we drove by.
That was almost 45 years ago and I have come to know him and love him, even though he is ornery and doesn't behave. He is very special to me.

My Air Force HD and I lived in Virginia in the beginning. His family came to see us and took me back to Texas to visit my family several months later. We traveled, camping out, on the way to Texas, stopping at a state park in Oklahoma. I went to take my shower after they had theirs. They neglected to tell me there was NO hot water. My FIL asked if I enjoyed my shower. Being pregnant, the ice water was a shock to both me and my unborn son, Mike.

We always ask each other if we are behaving and after all these years have pretty well agreed that we never do. It's more fun that way but we do stay in trouble.

I think he is very happy that we are now only about 16 miles from his house. He recently got a computer from another son and grandson. I hope he has the patience to learn it so he can keep up more with family through emails. He is almost 86 but is pretty sharp. I know he enjoys getting email and pictures.

You are never too old to learn!

Hospitals; Patients or is it Patience?

My father-in-law had a procedure earlier this month - a arterilogram, then a stent and balloons to unblock areas in his leg and improve circulation. All went well with that.

Note about my father-in-law: On a 1 to 10 level, with 10 being the least amount, my FIL's patience level is 12 and I think it runs in the family.

He spent the night and the doctor came in the morning and said he could go home. He dîd not tell him they needed to do one more test and wait for the nurse to come with results. Waiting . . . . . . . . . Until mid afternoon with him chomping at the bit to get out of there.

Hopefully this procedure will help him with the pain and tiredness in this leg and in a few months will have the other one done.

He is the type of person who has to stay busy ALL the time. At 85 years old, he has slowed down SOME, but still can't sit still.

HD & I stopped by yesterday afternoon and found him laying the yard again - digging up crab grass. I don't have that much energy now and am sure I won't at 85! He's tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment