Saturday, April 30, 2011

Quilts for Kids

I received my quilt kit last week from Quilts for Kids. The pattern this time was pinwheel blocks. I learned that you MUST follow the directions!  I only missed one part of the directions and found myself lacking in border fabric and very tight on backing fabric as well. OOPS ! I goofed. 


I missed the part where it said to square the blocks up to 5 1/4 inches. I left them the full size, after stitching the squares and cutting into half square triangles.    I had enough of the inner border fabric to make the outer borders work even if I had to leave the small selvedge show at the bottom of the borders. Since the quilt just used two colors, I felt it would not look right with another color mixed in,  I did use a coordinating blue for the binding since there was not enough of it either.












I don't think it turned out too bad but I will read ALL the directions next tine! I knew there was something wrong because with the other kit there was plenty of fabric with a little left over. 

Just need to wash it now and get it sent back, along with one of my donation quilts. I names my first two Faith's Light and Faith's Light One.  This pinwheel will be called Faith's Monkey Business.

This is such a great organization helping sick kids and for parents something to hold onto if the kids don't make it. They send out kits with a quilt all cut out and ready for you to put together, along with the backing. You supply the batting, the labor and the postage to send it and one of your own back to them.  To learn more check out this link:


http://www.quiltsforkids.org/about/

No comments:

Post a Comment