Monday, December 10, 2012

" If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!"

In today's economy we need to save money however we can. Unfortunately some major companies make that very difficult.

My DH just bought me a late birthday/early Christmas gift in the form of a new desktop computer in October. Windows 7 will not run some of my old windows programs that STILL work well in Windows XP.

He finally got my old HP laserjet 1000 printer to work, I think with a "by guess and by golly" on the driver since HP does not have one that works with it.
 It worked GREAT on Linux AND on Windows XP.

My old Microsoft Picture It program has been discontinued and will not run on Windows 7 either. I have used it for my graphics for years and would really miss it for my family calendar cover pages that I have been doing for about 25 or so years.

My DH set up my old computer with a virtual box so I ran Linux Ubuntu and, when needed, Windows XP. My old Ubuntu is no longer being supported so he put Linux Open Suse on with Windows 7. Couldn't get virtual box to run on it so he put the new version of Ubuntu that has lots of changes. So far so good. I don't like some of the changes but can  deal with it since it works with virtual box and I can still run Windows XP with my favorite programs.

I am not a person who likes changes so it would have and will be, difficult to learn a new graphics program and others that will work with Windows7, when that time finally comes.  Luckily, most programs for Linux are free, unlike Microsoft's programs.

I know the time will come when I have to give up my old programs but am so happy that my HD can set things up so nicely for me.  He is a keeper!!

" If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment