Monday, January 7, 2013

Sewing Lessons.

Saturday morning, our oldest granddaughter and I started some sewing lessons. I had given her some things to embroider and sew as well as a tool kit with scissors, needles, tape measure , pins, etc. to encourage her. My daughter had gotten her started with a sewing machine several months ago.

Two of the small projects I gave her were a small pillow with ladybugs and a ladybug mug rug (a small quilted placemat for a snack and drink).

We started with the mug rug and she had a little trouble keeping her seam even so I found that my 1/4" machine foot for my Janome fit on the Kenmore machine I set up for her to use. After that she did really well. She did all the sewing on her mug rug except sewing close around the edge - even the quilting! She also did most of her pillow, which she made for a friend.

She then decided she would like to make mug rugs for her Mom, Dad and her two brothers. That was quite a job for a 7 year old and ONE day. So Grandma helped. She did some of the work on each one - putting fronts together, stitching front, batting and backing together, marking, quilting the lines, turning them or trimming the threads.

She chose the fabric for each from my stash. For Mom, fabric with sewing items; Dad some with games; oldest brother one with Saturn and green trim (his color); and her other brother, who loves animals, fabric with all dogs.

It was a busy day but we got it all done and she gave them out yesterday after church. We had a great time!









No comments:

Post a Comment