Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunbonnet Sue and Samplers


Most blocks for the following two quilts were made in 1996-1998 time frame. They were done in a block of the month class at Betty’s Bobbin Box in Odessa Texas with Ida Tyson teaching. We made different blocks each month for a sampler quilt. The colors I chose were purple and black but I also made a Christmas block of each for the Christmas sampler quilt.

Purple and Black Sampler Quilt completed 1997

 This one was machine pieced and quilted block by block. In the center of the sashing is a machine embroidered flower. The block I had the most trouble with was the cow in both samplers but finally got it right.





Christmas Sampler Quilt completed in 2008
I didn’t have quite enough blocks from the block of the month class to make the size I wanted so I had to make a few more in 2008 to complete it. It was machine pieced and bound by me and machine quilted by a friend, Cherry Shults. She called me to see if I wanted to change something before she quilted it. I accidentally put a bow upside down in the bottom row. I mentioned that only God can make a perfect quilt so leave it in there.





 This is the cow block I had so much trouble with.











Sunbonnet Sue Christmas made in 2008
 This was my design using ”Sue” from Fancy Sue pattern from Quilts and Other Comforts in 1998. Machine pieced and appliquéd Dress made from Christmas fabrics with skirt trimmed at the bottom with lace. Flower is embroidered.































Fancy Sunbonnet Sue Quilt completed in 2006
This quilt was made for my granddaughter Emma. This design was a kit called Fancy Sue from Quilts and Other Comforts in 1998. The fabrics for the skirt were from 1950’s designs.

2 comments:

  1. I need the pattern for fancy sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check here to see if she still has the pattern. It is #3.

    http://www.freewebs.com/quiltingspecial/patterns.htm

    ReplyDelete