Monday, January 10, 2011

Epidemic or Greed ?


OK now, let me climb up on my soapbox!

Have you noticed that there seems to be an epidemic of GERD (acid reflux) in this country. What is causing this? Is it the way we eat? Is it all the chemicals they put into our foods "to keep us safe" (preservatives).

Are the doctors being paid by the drug companies to get us started on all these acid blockers- Nexium, Protonix, Zantac, Prilosec - too many to list and more coming out all the time. Once you get on them, it's almost impossible to get off - at least for some people. Seems like the reflux is worse than when you first started taking it.

Why do the doctors TREAT the problem instead of FIXING it? Change the diet or use natural products to help until diet changes take place. The drugs stop acid production- it is my understanding that our stomachs need the acid to process what we eat.

That is just one example. Seems everyone I talk to is taking drugs for cholesterol. I am sure that really high cholesterol is not good for a person but how can they say that each and every persons should be this particular reading or less. Are we not all different?? My reading may be a tiny bit over THEIR guidelines but I don't care to take these drugs that can cause depression, mood swings, and muscle aches so bad you can hardly get out of bed or walk.

Another topic on my list is blood pressure medication. I don't think you need it if your BP just goes up when you enter the doctor's office. Just thinking about what they charge and how much you pay for insurance sends mine shooting up some.

While I'm at it, what about the cost of some of these drugs? I cannot believe it costs so much to make them. For one tiny little tube of ointment, less than the length and thickness of my little finger, with very little in it costs $144.00 ! ! ! That is OUTRAGEOUS ! Even with good insurance it was $40 bucks.

And all the drugs they advertise now! Take this one to take care of ONE specific problem- it only has these TWENTY-FIVE side effects!! So do you have to take MORE drugs to take care of them??

It is a scary world these days.

Climbing down off my soapbox now . . .

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said! I swear I think it is some of the stuff they put in things these days. I know when I was growing up and everyone grew or raised their own food you never heard of anything like GERD! And the cost of medicine is just plain CRAZY! I don't have health insurance and most months I have to let one of my medicines go and alternate them. That is not fun and throws my body all out of whack!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pills are pushed on everyone these days for the almighty dollar. The seniors are at particular risk because so many do not question it and wind up taking too many or some that react badly with others. The doctors are supposed to keep a check on your medications (that's why we give them a list), but rarely do. I always ask for a med that has been on the market for a long while, not a new one that is costly and has many side effects. It is so hard to find a good doctor you trust these days.

    ReplyDelete