Sunday, July 10, 2011

Temptations and garage sales . . .

We went to garage sales yesterday. One of them listed QUILT TOPS and of course, I had to go look! I had to look, touch, feel, front and back and BUY
 
I checked them all over, HD looked too and said we should get some. I exercised some restraint and ONLY BOUGHT FOUR! ! I am not too good at describing different patterns but will try - feel free to jump in and tell me the correct names for the blocks. :o)

I obtained the name of the lady who did these tops for my records. She pieced them in the late 70's and passed away in 1980. She did a terrific job on these quilts. I greatly admire those who can hand piece with those straight seams and tiny little stitches.

Number one: Large six pointed star surrounded by diamonds in orange and white and within green star points. Mostly hand pieced with a little machine stitching. This beautiful quilt top is 75 by 91 1/2 inches.




Number two: Pinwheels in gold and black floral and block finished out with squares of blue and pink with lime green triangles in the corners. Sashings are brown with yellow squares joining them. I love all the bright colors. Mostly hand pieced with a little machine stitching. This is a large top measuring 89 by 101 inches.





Number three: (My favorite) Spiderweb pattern with orange stars joining the webs together. All the bright colors really make this a stunning quilt. It also has hand stitching but mostly machine stitching. This one measures 72 by 90 inches.




Number four: Called a "baby quilt". Rail Fence pattern done in pastel blue, pink and yellow. Totally hand pieced using 2 inch strips! !( Beautiful quilt measures 72 by 96 inches.

Oh, and the cost . . . $12.50 each !  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment