Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Computers


We bought a new Acer computer for me last October at Fry's Electronics. It quit on me in June - would not even boot. I had an extended warranty, even though it was still under manufacturer's warranty. Fry's said they would send it to Acer to be repaired. Four weeks later, Fry’s called and said it could not be fixed and Acer issued a store credit to me.

We went in and found that all the computers now had Windows 8 on them. I told them I did not want one because none of my software would run on it. When asked about a refund so I could get one somewhere else, I was told (after they supposedly spoke to a manager) that Acer would not do a refund - I had to use the credit in the store. We're talking $400!! They said I could use it on something other than a computer!! I told them I needed the computer.

Finally went back to the computer department to look around and found a different salesman. He found one computer that had Windows 7 on it and it was not an Acer. I had to pay more for it since it was not on sale like the first one. They did give me a small discount on it. When we got home I looked for warranty information on it and couldn't locate it so my DH called to find it does have a 1 year warranty. I did not buy the expensive extended Fry's warranty on it since it was a waste of money on the last one!!

Since I was upset about the whole deal, I posted a note on Acer's Facebook page and was told that they did not issue store credits - that Fry's did and if I still had the computer they would fix it! Hmmm, makes me wonder what really happened to my computer. Someone is not being truthful so I will choose carefully who I give my business to from now on.

AND my DH bought a new Dell laptop two years ago at . . .you guessed it . . .,- Fry's. For some time now the screen would go all squirrelly with lines across it. But it was so random we figured they would not be able to duplicate it so we did not take it in. We had purchased a 2 year warranty on it, thinking, we had plenty of time to take it in if it did it more often. More often showed up this week and we discovered the stated 2 year warranty was actually one year with an expiration date of June 2013!! DH did some research and found that Dell has known about this problem for some time and has done nothing to fix it.


At this point, we are NOT happy campers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment